Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Can using a 1% otc hydrocortisone cream everyday 1x per day really be dangerous or thin your skin out?

I know people say hydrocortisone can thin out skin but I feel that over-the-counter use to control eczema for a few days should be safe. I prefer to use this instead of protopic as it as a black box cancer label. However, I don%26#039;t want to risk thinning out my skin after say, 25 years. I am unable to find any articles regarding over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream - only prescription strength steroids (which do indeed thin out skin).|||Hydro cortical steroids are known to cause skin atrophy of the skin.. meaning they brake down fat cells causing a %26quot;thinning%26quot; of the face. they are also known to change pigmentation of skin in colored people. However, such a low dosage used moderately will take YEARS to have any ill effect, and that is assuming you use it everyday for years.|||I have been using 1% hydrocortisone on my face for 10 years. I now have a condition called %26quot;steroid induced rosacea%26quot; I strongly recommend you do not use any form of steroid cream on any part of your body, regarless of potency. It will eventually thin your skin Report Abuse
|||Talk to your doctor about how the cream may benefit you. My doctor recommended that I only use it twice a day and not more cause it can cause thinning of your skin. I used the hydrocortisone cream a couple months back and it didn%26#039;t thin out my skin at all. But I only used it for one day and it actually gave me much a clearer and even softer skin.|||From what I know it can%26#039;t, well at least not on me because I%26#039;ve been using it for a while now and it has only made my skin look and feel better without thinning it out.|||Any drug has risks and side effects. Use it only as recommended and try not to use it often.|||im not 100% sure about OTC; i know it does for prescription strength, using it for extended periods of time can also cause osteoporosis, cushing%26#039;s syndrome, immunosuppression, and some other stuff so youre not really suppose to use hydrocortisone for more than a few days at a time|||The over the counter is not the same stuff that will thin your skin. It isn%26#039;t strong enough...unless you bathe in it every day until your 2000 years old.|||I have eczema also, and have found a lotion that works wonders. It%26#039;s so greasy they say to only use it on your hands before bed, but I use it more often and don%26#039;t have a problem out of it. It%26#039;s called Eucerin. It%26#039;s for severely dry skin treatment, and is #1 physician recommended. I would try that before I%26#039;d keep using hydrocortisone cream. It probably does have some long-term side effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment