Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The hydrocortisone cream my doctor prescribed me with isn't working on the eczema i've had around my mouth.

I have had eczema around my mouth for two months. When i take a shower it seems to get redder and flakier. So i decided to see my doctor. He prescribed me with Hydrocortisone cream and E45 cream. He told me to use hydrocortisone cream twice a day, morning and evening and if after 7-10 days my eczema does not clear up to visit him again. It%26#039;s been four days now and I don%26#039;t see a difference. Should I either:


- Stop using hydrocortisone and start using E45 cream.


- Carry on using hydrocortisone cream until 7-10 days.


- Use both - but how much hours should i wait till i put the E45 cream after i put the hydrocortisone?





And, how can i take a shower without my eczema getting worse... I%26#039;m 14, this is my first time getting eczema and none of my family have had eczema or ashtma in their life





- much appreciated.. thanks!|||Hi there, I have had eczema all my life so I know exactly how horrible it can be. My personal advice! Forget E45. I found it only dried my skin more and didn%26#039;t moisturise or help with the flaking (it made it worse).


First thing to do is see your doctor about getting a stronger hydrocortisone. I have used Nerisone for the past 10 years and I swear by it. But you have to follow a few rules. Always wash the area first just with water. Then apply the cream, only a little and make it spread well, then it should be ok. If its on your body try to cover with just soft cotton garments. Nothing too heavy as this will aggravate the skin. If its on your face its going to dry up quickly so check it every hour or when you feel it getting dry. If it is, go and wipe the area again with cold water, make sure its clean then apply the cream again - sparingly. I would recommend this for 3 days, and you should see some results in this time. A warm 10 minute shower (not too hot) should be good for the skin, try a use a body cream like Simple - non fragrant for dry skin relief. If you%26#039;re a guy, don%26#039;t think this a girly thing, all skin needs to be moisturised to prevent is breaking and getting sore. Your skin will be dry quickly after a shower so its important to dry yourself and get into the moisturiser as soon as poss. I would also recommend showering again at night, to clean the skin and re moisturise. If you leave it the skin will get sore again. I am in my 30%26#039;s and have had eczema since I was 2, so I%26#039;ve tried pretty much all the creams and lotions around. I really hope this helps and good luck. PS I have been 99.9 % eczema free for the last 12 years!|||I have eczema on my hands and I had hydrocortisone cream and it didn%26#039;t work and if you use it for long periods it can thin your skin, use the E45 at least 4 times a day it will hydrate your skin and should make a difference in about a week. Hope it gets better.|||I have eczema on my eyelids- a dermatologist told me to apply the medication on the affected area, apply a warm washcloth on my eyelids for 5 minutes then reapply the medicine. The warm washcloth opens the pores so more of the medication is absorbed and when I reapply the medicine it is also absorbed more readily.





I met the Man, 10 years ago %26amp; it is by far the best advice I%26#039;ve received for my eczema





By the way, while you are having a flare up use gentle hypoallergenic soaps like Cetaphil instead of soap %26amp; gentle facial %26amp; body products.

No comments:

Post a Comment