Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Can you use Hydrocortisone Cream while pregnant?

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have this heat rash. I used the cream last night but then I began to wonder if it is safe for pregnancy|||I used it with last pregnancy and also with current pregnancy. using too much of any topical cream may be harmful, so follow the directions. Stop worrying about the little things!! Your gonna be fine.|||Well, there are a lot of folks (including myself) that would be loath to use hydrocortisone as it is a steroid cream. However, as it%26#039;s a large cholesterol molecule it can not travel very far and stays at the site of application, so it would not affect your pregnancy. Locally you would be more susceptible to an infection (at the site of application), which would be exacerbated by the compromised immune system due to pregnancy. So ask your doc next week (when you should have your first appointment) and think about the potential consequences - like a local infection.|||I asked my GP, and he said it%26#039;s okay as long as you have a break after 3 days of using it.


I asked my obstetrician and he said he rather%26#039;d I used a stronger one for a week and then stopped.


He said generally hydrocortisone creams don%26#039;t harm the baby during pregnancy. But to not excessively use it.|||yeah, i got prescribed 2% of the stuff in this pregnancy, for spots that have appeared in and won%26#039;t go away, it%26#039;s just an inflammatory medication.





don%26#039;t use it for long periods of time, i think it says only a few days at a time because it can damage you.|||I would suggest sweet almond oil as an alternative. I had the same problem during pregnancy and after giving birth. I did try one application of hydro-cortisone, but it did not work. The sweet almond oil started working almost instantly both during and after.|||Always ask your doctor first! Only s/he knows the other medical conditions you have, your history, and whether or not your baby is likely to be affected.|||Definitely ask your Doc about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment