Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hydrocortisone cream?

I went to my GP today as I had an eczema -like allergic reaction on my chin/cheek a two days ago %26amp; he prescribed me some Hydrocortisone 1% cream (I also have to apply it twice a day, which I started today) %26amp; as it%26#039;s a steroid cream I know it can have a few side effects such as thinning of the skin etc.





So how long can I safely use it for?|||Good news 1% Hydrocortisone is so mild it neither produces marking or thinning and is safe to use on the face. It can be used 3 times a day if needed. However steroids are not the mainstay of eczema management this is emollients and moisturisers and the avoidance of soaps and detergents etc.|||You are correct in being careful applying cortisone cream to the skin, as atrophy and thinning are one of the side effects. Generally, though, the thinning is more of a problem with the stronger, fluorinated cortisones, and hydrocortisone cream is not fluoronated. Consequently, you have some lattitude with respect to the duration of treatment before you experience side effects. The type of skin is also important, as darker skinned people seem to be more resistant to the atrophy side effects. For sure, two weeks would be safe, and probably even longer, if needed.|||How long did he tell you to use it for. I%26#039;d say about fourteen days.

No comments:

Post a Comment